Valley Lemon Tree

I am Paco, owner of Green Thumb Nursery.  I am selling my citrus trees and sharing my knowledge about growing them at Jackson Street Market Days in Harlingen, Texas, on April 1, 2017.

It's Spring time, and there is no better thing to do than to plant a citrus fruit tree in the back yard of Texas lawns.  And, I know where you can go in the Rio Grande Valley to get some pretty citrus fruit trees of different sizes.  Visit my Green Thumb Nursery in Mercedes, Texas.  

There are so many different fruits under the citrus category, and it is difficult to write about all types of citrus fruits in one article.  However, I can write a series of articles on this blog and give you information about each one.  You can learn about different citrus fruits with me.

The Valley Lemon, also known as the Meyer Lemon, is probably one of the most popular due to its size and delicious taste.  These lemons are a cross between the mandarin orange and lemon making it juicy and tart and of course, huge.



The Valley Lemon Tree is the one on the right, and the one on the left is the N-33 navel orange.




Once you purchase a Valley Lemon tree, you need to make sure to plant it where it can receive direct sun all day long.  Planting this tree south or south east of your house is probably the best idea.  These trees cannot survive in the cold weather which is why they do so well in Mexico and the Rio Grande Valley.  If Valley Lemon trees are planted where temperatures dip lower than 20 degrees, precautions should be taken.  Trees can be covered with a sheet or blanket until the weather gets warmer than 20 degrees.  If the trees are small enough to be planted in pots,  they can also be moved into the house until the weather gets a little warmer.  

Valley Lemon trees need to be thoroughly watered every two weeks.  There needs to be drainage in the soil in which they are planted.  Dry leaves need to be removed from the trees once little green lemons are growing.  It takes these trees one to two years to bear fruit, and they do not need another tree to reproduce.

You can purchase a Valley Lemon Tree at Green Thumb Nursery in Mercedes.  Feel free to ask for me Paco or my wife, Santos Sanchez, at 956-330-2764 

Comments

  1. Yes I’m writing you from Dallas Tx.I want to purchase a valley lemon tree,can you mail one out to Dallas Tx.please let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Growth of a Citrus Plant